Electric fencing using the best materials inclusive of a certificate of compliance.
– A physical barrier,
– A psychological barrier, and
– An early warning system
The visual appearance thereof will be a definite deterrent to a potential intruder as it will cause a delay to enter your property and also when they want to exit again.
If your electric fence is correctly installed and wired, the possibility and magnitude of shock that may be experienced will be a huge deterrent for most intruders from trying to enter your premises. This psychological barrier the person must overcome is probably one of the best advantages an electric fence has as a first line of defense. It will deter most people and send them off to look for some easier pickings.
But in my opinion, the best thing about this type of fence is that if the intruders do overcome their fears and decide to enter your premises in any case, the alarm system to which it is connected to, will immediately notify you or your security company about the breach. In this way the electric fence has served its purpose as a first line of defense and an early warning device.
How it works?
There are a number of ways in which the system is monitored:
- If the wires are deflected by vertical movement, or
- If there is contact between the “Live” and ”Earth” circuits, or
- If the wires are cut,
the system will cause a short circuit on the fence line and trigger the alarm system, giving an audible and visual indication of a breach. It is the best if the fence is zoned for easier detection of where the fence was breached. On some estates, the perimeter fence can be kilometres long and zoned fencing ensures that the guards can get to the entry point quickly.
Nowadays, the monitoring and controlling of your system is so sophisticated that you can monitor and keep an eye on your system from anywhere in the world and you can:
- Arm and disarm your system,
- Be notified of any alarm activation,
- Be notified of power failures,
and many other features too…
I would suggest that you always connect your fence alarm to a security company for monitoring as well. This not only gives you a lot more ease of mind when your family is alone at home, but it also gives you a back-up plan for when you are home with them.
Let’s face it, us men might sometimes feel we are tough and invincible, but when you are woken in the middle of the night and has to face one or, God forbid, more than one hardened criminal/s, then the fact that someone else is on the way makes it much easier to make the right decisions.
Is your Electric Fence Compliant?
Here are some guidelines that will make sure your fence is compliant:
- Owner must be in possession of an electric fence system certificate of compliance. A certificate of compliance will be issued from a registered installer.
- The output should not be adjusted to make it more lethal.
- There must be proper warning signs visible on the fence, warning people about the dangers of the fence, that can be clearly seen from the driveway and pavement.
- It should not overhang into a neighbour’s yard or pavement.
Always use the best materials available. We live in Cape Town and with the beautiful lifestyle that comes with this, there are a few disadvantages that goes with living so close to the sea. The one we are concerned about here is the salty air and corrosion.
- Use only 316 grade stainless steel wire, strainers, springs and fittings.
- Use the best insulators available and buy a high quality energizer.
- Always make sure that all your uprights are hot-dipped galvanised to a standard that is accepted in your country for coastal installations.
In South Africa this standard is SABS ISO 14621 of 2000. For an even better protection I advise that you have it powder coated too.
Even if you do not have the problems that come from living close to the sea, we suggest that you insist on using these materials as mentioned above. A properly installed system ensures the minimum of maintenance and your electric fence will last for many, many years. It will also ensure that false alarms will be almost non-existent.
Do you need your security upgraded? Let us help.
For a FREE 'Needs Analysis' of your security needs, please contact one of our consultants today!